Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall goodies: pumpkin pie smoothies

I love the flavors of fall. Mister Gurgly said he feels like we are in a week of "Iron Chef, Battle: Squash." Somehow, though, I don't think he will be arguing about the pumpkin pie smoothies Little Gurgly and I had for breakfast this morning!

I actually made a simple version of these last year for Little Gurgly while he was learning to drink from a straw.  This year, I decided they sounded too good not to get in on the action. I make smoothies really simply, and often I don't bother with the ice.  Mostly because I hate cleaning the blender.  I'm sure this would be delicious blended with ice, but I just didn't go there this time.

Little Gurgly's smoothie was made with whole milk and full fat yogurt, and mine with their skim cousins. I found his sweet enough without adding any sweetener, but found mine a little too tart, so I added some maple syrup.

I'm considering making some homemade pumpkin pie spice blend for this and other autumn treats, because I missed the warmth of cloves in here; all the other flavors come through nicely though, and really made me feel like I was eating pie for breakfast (just much healthier)!  Ground cloves and/or ginger would be really great here.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

2 Tbsp. Pumpkin purée (I used canned: NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 c. Plain yogurt
1/2 c. Milk (to desired consistency)
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
1-2 tsp. maple syrup (optional)

Blend (or stir) pumpkin and yogurt together well, then stir in milk until desired consistency is reached. Add spices and blend once more.  Taste, and add maple syrup if needed.

If using this as a dessert, consider adding whipped cream and a crumbled gingersnap or graham cracker to the top for a fun and festive fall treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment